Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:'I Know What You Did Last Summer' sequel casts Freddie Prinze Jr.: What we know so far -ThriveEdge Finance
Surpassing:'I Know What You Did Last Summer' sequel casts Freddie Prinze Jr.: What we know so far
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 17:18:50
An iconic slasher is Surpassinggetting new life.
Another sequel to the 1997 box office hit "I Know What You Did Last Summer" is in the works at Sony Pictures with some of the original cast on board.
A source who is familiar with the matter but not authorized to speak publicly confirmed Freddie Prinze Jr., who played Ray Bronson in the franchise, has joined the cast, with his on-screen love Jennifer Love Hewitt (Julie James) in talks to make a return.
Neal Moritz, who produced "I Know What You Did Last Summer" and its 1998 sequel "I Still Know What You Did Last Summer" as well as the straight-to-video 2006 installment "I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer" – which was a standalone movie with a new cast – will return as a producer.
Jennifer Kaytin Robinson ("Unpregnant," "Thor: Love and Thunder") is directing and co-writing with Sam Lansky, who is credited as one of the writers who helped Britney Spears with her memoir, "The Woman in Me." He is an editor at Time magazine and wrote Time's Person of the Year story on Taylor Swift in 2023.
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Why Jennifer Love Hewitt and Freddie Prinze Jr. are on board for the slasher sequel
Before his casting was confirmed, Prinze Jr. was enthusiastic about wanting to "make everything work" for a sequel.
"Everybody has to be happy with the script," he told Us Weekly in July. He also noted "there’s a lot of good things that make me want to do the movie," including Kaytin Robinson being attached to the film.
Prinze Jr. met his wife of more than 20 years, Sarah Michelle Gellar, while filming the 1997 movie. Her character, Helen Shivers, was among the teen casualties of the mysterious killer. Ryan Phillippe, Johnny Galecki and Anne Heche also starred in the original.
Hewitt also spoke with Us Weekly about he willingness to reprise her horror role.
"Listen, I loved doing those movies. There is nothing more fun than doing a horror movie. It’s the best. Julie James was awesome,” she told the outlet in May. "I do think that there’s unfinished business there, and so I would be happy to do it."
Here's everything we know about the newest addition to the "I Know What You Did Last Summer" franchise.
Who's in the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' sequel cast?
Here's who is confirmed so far:
- Freddie Prinze Jr.
- Chase Sui Wonders
- Madelyn Cline
- Sarah Pidgeon
- Tyriq Withers
- Jonah Haur-King
When will the new 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' move come out?
The newest installment is due in theaters on July 18, 2025.
What is the 'I Know What You Did Last Summer' sequel about?
Details are scarce while the project is in early development.
“I don’t know. I won’t know where we find them,” Prinze Jr. told Us Weekly of protagonists Ray and Julie, who also starred in the 1998 sequel. “I don’t know what world they’re gonna play in."
One clue fans have been given is a social media post from Kaytin Robinson that confirms the new installment will build off the 1998 sequel.
"I Still Know What You Did Last Summer" is part of the canon, she confirmed on X, formerly Twitter, in a July post responding to a rumor that the 2025 film "is reportedly ignoring previous sequels."
In 2014, an "I Know What You Did Last Summer" reboot was in the works at Sony Pictures with writers Mike Flanagan and Jeff Howard. However, that project didn't come to fruition; instead, a series of the same name landed on Amazon Prime Video and was canceled after one season.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Car crashes into a West Portal bus stop in San Francisco leaving 3 dead, infant injured
- Tallulah Willis, Bruce Willis' daughter, shares she was diagnosed with autism last year
- 6 former Mississippi law officers to be sentenced for torture of 2 Black men
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Pro-Trump Michigan attorney arrested after hearing in DC over leaking Dominion documents
- Rules that helped set real estate agent commissions are changing. Here’s what you need to know
- Will Messi play with Argentina? No. Hamstring injury keeps star from Philly, LA fans
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Apple may hire Google to build Gemini AI engine into next-generation iPhone
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- The longest-serving member of the Alabama House resigns after pleading guilty to federal charges
- 2 dead, 5 wounded in mass shooting in Washington, D.C., police say
- Shop Customer-Approved Big Hair Products for Thin Hair and Fine Hair
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Sister Wives Star Garrison Brown’s Sister Details His Mental Health Struggles
- Uncomfortable Conversations: Did you get stuck splitting the dining bill unfairly?
- Biden administration sides with promoter, says lawsuit over FIFA policy should go to trial
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Forced sale of TikTok absolutely could happen before Election Day, Rep. Mike Gallagher says
Celine Dion shares health update in rare photo with sons
Trump’s lawyers say it is impossible for him to post bond covering $454 million civil fraud judgment
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Suspect in fatal shooting of New Mexico state police officer caught
Former Vice President Mike Pence calls Trump's Jan. 6 hostage rhetoric unacceptable
Chinese billionaire pleads guilty to straw donor scheme in New York and Rhode Island